Starting January 01, 2021, the Evaluation & Management (EM) codes will be easier to use.
The codes are now determined by either:
1. Medical Decision Making (MDM); or
The MDM consists of four categories:
The calculation of time now includes:
– Preparing to see the patient (eg, review of tests)
– Obtaining and/or reviewing separately obtained history
– Performing a medically appropriate examination and/or evaluation
– Counseling and educating the patient/family/caregiver
– Ordering medications, tests, or procedures
– Referring and communicating with other health care professionals (when not separately reported)
– Documenting clinical information in the electronic or other health record
– Independently interpreting results (not separately reported); and
– Communicating results to the patient/family/caregiver care coordination (not separately reported)
NOTE: Code 99201 has been deleted due to lack of use.
Click here for the updated AMA-CPT guidelines.